Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Stang

1999 Mustang Cobra 4.6L 5 Speed Manual With A Cobra Race V8 Engine Leaking Gas, About To Explode!
Hi, my name is Chris Jellie. I'm a Panel Beater by trade, who has lived in Japan for 18 years and now I'm back in N.Z., and I bought this 1999 Mustang Cobra with me.
The Car was first registered in 99 but was made in 1998, with a 4.6 litre, hand built, Cobra race V8 Engine.
By changing the Chip it is said to produce an instant 305 BHP!!! Which sounds like a good excuse to burn rubber!
Read what someone else has to say about this Cobra.
But there are some problems.... and all is not well.
Bookmark us and keep returning here, scroll to the bottom to see the latest blog updates of this car.

PART 1:




The Situation:
On the 2nd September 2010 while filling the tank there was a strong smell of gas. When I arrived at a mate's house, I could see a trail of petrol leading down the road.
It was "sloshing" out the top of the tank where the infill pipe leads, and was wetting the right rear exhaust pipe, (which was hot at the time. )
It was a bad situation. The car could literally blow at any time! Lucky for me I'm in the Motor Trade and knew exactly where to go. At the time I started this blog, I was on Rod Milner's yard. I was going to do a video on his business, Rod was kind enough to lend me another car, so I drove the Mustang around the corner to a business called Premier Service Centre located at 15 Rockridge Ave in Penrose Auckland and saw a buddy of mine, Steve Ellersliy.
Now it's not a common car in New Zealand, a 1998 Left Hand Drive Mustang Cobra, so I was sure I would have some kind of problem sourcing the parts needed, but Steve quickly reassured me, and took it off my hands to get repaired.
I have known the guys at Premier Service Centre for about 1 year, and can tell you when a company Complies over 200 freshly imported vehicles from Japan into NZ every month, they will know where to go for parts.

Part 2:



But the car doesn't drive very well. It may look good, pull great burn outs, but I can't control the car in a slide, it just goes into a spin, it's hopeless, there is no way I could even drift this car.
The suspension has had it!
The Power Steering was never any good from the start!
It's too quite!
And it's a very tiring ride.
I thought to myself, I know where to go and get these things fixed! I wonder if everyone else does? And then I thought I would use my car as a project which will show people where to go to get good work done on your car.
So follow me as I rebuild the STANG and turn it into the race car it should be.
After each modification, I will take it back to the track to pull a few burn outs, do a little sideways action and time each lap so I can tell you, out there on the Internet what the differences are so you can make your own choice.
Follow my blog, it's going to be a wild ride, there is sure to be some "Hot Girls", Fast Cars, and Smoking Rubber to be seen!

Part 3:



Here Chris attempts to explain what is wrong with the Mustang when it's been driven.
Notice the creaking you can here as the plastic interior moves and twists as the car is being driven, the car does not want to travel in a straight line and it is believed there is an issue with the Power Steering, the suspension is almost non-existent picking up every little bump in the road, making for a very uncomfortable ride. When this car gets to the race track, it's going to be all over the show! How could someone make something look so sexy, sound full of menace yet drive worse than anything I have ever experienced before???
As you may know, I am a Panel Beater by Trade, not a mechanic. Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to the suspension? Which brand is the better one to use, which type of shock and spring would be best suited to this car?
I will be asking the Pro's soon, so please feel free to leave me your suggestions and let's compare them with the Pro's advice!

Check us out on the web at:
www.globalonlinecars.com
Or the blog at:
http://globalonlinecars.blogspot.com

Thanks for watching,

Chris Jellie

No comments:

Post a Comment